Friday, March 1, 2013

Friday Feature: Giggle Poo

Welcome to our first ever, Friday Feature! Every Friday, we will be featuring a different Etsy shop. The idea is that you can get to know some of the amazing mom's who have a small business, see their creations, and pick up a few tips about how they make it all work. Enjoy!




Tell us about yourself.
I am a Stay at Home Mom to a wonderful 10 month old baby (who is growing up way too fast), a wonderful husband, a crazy cat, and starting my own small business.

Tell us about your shop. What do you sell?
Giggle Poo is a specialty retail shop focusing on the latest trends for stylish babies. While the company is still in its infancy (no pun intended) its lovies, baby blanket and baby leg warmers are already leading baby fashion trends across the United States and Canada. Baby Clothes are next on the agenda.



When did you start creating? Why?
My Grandmother taught me how to sew by hand and cross stitch when I was in elementary school and it was so much fun. As I grew older, I put sewing to the way side. Then I unexpectedly lost my job at 8 and half months pregnant. I was devastated! I never planned to be a stay at home Mom. I have a degree in International Business from a college in France, speak fluent French and have always been career oriented. After searching for a job to cover more than just day care costs (it’s expensive here!) and with unemployment soon running out, I think I surprised everyone when I bought my first showing machine and opened my Etsy shop. I honestly love it and am learning a lot about running my own business.

How do you balance your business with your family?
Ha! I am still working on this one. It has been a struggle at times. My shop took off faster than expected and my house is disaster! We used to have a cleaning company come to our house twice a month and it was the first thing to go when I lost my job. I REALLY miss them. I am learning to be more domesticated, but I think I have a long road ahead of me. My husband would like me to get there a little faster.

What has been the most difficult aspect of being a Mommy with a Small Business?
I have struggles with managing the house, baby, business and my husband at the same time. I’m not sure how life would be if I were still at my corporate job. My Little Dude likes to stay up late, still wakes several times a night and is exclusively breastfed. As my husband would say, I always take the more difficult route. What can I say, I like a good challenge. My husband flip flops on his support on my small business; it’s that whole domestication issue I have (I did vacuum today). LOL! To be fair, he has been an intricate tool in the success of my business and most of the time he truly does support my small business.

What has been the most rewarding?
Hands down, the most rewarding is spending all the precious time with my Little Dude watching him grow and learn. I wouldn’t trade this time with him for anything.

Do you have any tips for other moms with a small/home business?
Don’t give up! There will be slow times, learning experiences, and time management issues, but they will pass. Your customers will understand if your little one is sick or needs you a little more, just be honest with them. Your babies should always be your top priority. Oh and excellent customer service can go a long way.



You can keep up with Lori and her wonderful creations at the following sites:

www.facebook.com/GigglePooDotCom
twitter.com/GigglePooDotCom
www.etsy.com/shop/GigglePoo
www.gigglepoo.com/


Questions or comments are always welcome either here on the blog, or directed to our featured shop.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent - great product!
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Honest diapers. I have used them from the very beginning, once I switched to other brand for the price but it did not have stretch tabs, my son was between size 3 and 4 so the extra room would cause leakage. Honest diapers were just right and the flex tabs are comfortable for crawling and movement.
    honest company reviews

    ReplyDelete