Friday, April 12, 2013

Friday Feature: Design Bug Studio

This weeks featured mommy with a "small" business is Becky of Design Bug Studio. Enjoy!

Tell us about yourself. 
I am a mom to a just turned 5 year old girl and almost 2 1/2 year old boy who keep me very busy. I used to be an elementary teacher, but after I had my daughter my school was closed and I took that as a sign that I should stay home with my daughter. 5 years later I'm still home with my children and am so happy I am able to share this time with them!


Tell us about your shop. What do you sell? 
I sell customized birthday invitations, baby announcements and holiday cards.

When did you start creating? Why? 
My first invitation was for my daughter's first birthday. I looked forward to creating an invitation for her every year. After her 4th birthday I realized that once a year was simply not enough for me. I wanted to make more invitations. So I decided to start designing invitations and cards for others. It took me a few months to build up the courage to actually open my etsy shop. It was the best decision I ever made and I only wish I had done it sooner. I chose my shop name because I felt like I was bit by the "design bug." I love what I do!


How do you balance your business with your family? 
It was really difficult to balance my shop and family at first. It still remains a challenge at times, but I think I have figured out what works best for me. I try to answer emails throughout the day, but the bulk of my work happens after the kids are in bed. Occasionally, I can sneak an order in here and there during the day, but if my kids need me I stop and make sure I am there for them.

What has been the most difficult aspect of being a Mommy with a Small Business? 
The hardest part has been trying to establish work hours. It's not a typical 9-5 job. With both kids at home, I can only do so much during the day. And once they are in bed, there are only so many hours in the evening I can work without sacrificing sleep. There are always a million things I want to do with my business, but I realize that I will have to do what I can, when I can!





What has been the most rewarding? 
I love that my daughter gets excited for me when I have an order. She is my biggest cheerleader in this endeavor!

Do you have any tips for other moms with a small/home business? 
If you are thinking about starting a business, do it! You'll be happy you did. If you're just starting out, give things time to work themselves out. It takes a lot of work, but it is worth it!


Beautiful work! If you have a special event coming up, you can find Becky's invitations and cards at the following sites:

Shop: www.etsy.com/shop/DesignBugStudio?ref=si_shop
Facebook: www.facebook.com/mydesignbug
Pinterest: pinterest.com/designbugstudio/

Thanks for joining us today!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have it all together and really enjoy the business part of your life! Congrats on your success!

    ReplyDelete